- 1.5kg live Tasmanian crayfish or local rock lobster
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1 cup soft herbs, dill, watercress, mizuna, chives, chervil
- Lemon wedges to serve
Herb Butter Ingredients:
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- 4 tbs finely chopped parsley, chives, dill, sorrel leaves torn
- 1 small red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- For the herb butter, combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper, then chill until needed.
- Place crayfish in the freezer for 2 hours (this will put it to sleep). Place on its stomach on a flat, non-slip work surface with claws tied or held out of the way with a towel.
- Place a sharp knife on the head between the eyes. Cut through the head, then backwards towards the tail. Open out to reveal the 2 parts.
- Remove and discard the dark intestinal vein, stomach sac and gills.
- Transfer crayfish, flesh-side up, to a baking tray and drizzle with oil. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Place crayfish in oven and cook for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and top with herb butter.
- Place crayfish back in and set oven on grill function. Cook for 4 minutes or until butter is brown.
- Serve the crayfish hot, scattered with fresh herbs, lemon.