½ cup plain flour
¼ onion, chopped
4 cups of grated potato - from 1kg of potatoes boiled in water with the skin on
2 tablespoons of garlic
1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
4 rashers of streaky bacon
4 tablespoons of butter
4 fresh vine ripened or ox heart tomatoes
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
250g fresh ricotta
- Melt the butter in a skillet over a medium heat.
- Add the onion, paprika and garlic to the melted butter. Stir and cook until the onion is tender for between 5 - 7 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are cool, peel off the skin and grate.
- The potato will resemble chunky mashed potatoes.
- Preheat the waffle iron.
- Combine the onion mixture, mashed potatoes, flour, eggs, ½ teaspoon of salt, and ½ teaspoon of black pepper in a large bowl until well blended.
- Scoop ½ a cup of the mixture into the centre of the waffle iron and close the lid.
- Cook until golden brown for between 3 - 5 minutes.
- Grill the bacon until crispy, slice the tomatoes, sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
- To serve, place the ricotta on top of the waffles, add the bacon, sliced tomatoes and pour on the excess olive oil.