1kg floury potatoes (cooked)
200g grated parmesan
200g plain flour
2 egg yolks
100g delicate extra virgin olive oil
1tbsp lard (optional)
500g pork belly, diced
1kg wagyu beef shin, diced
1 cup dry white wine
1 tbsp of tomato paste
3 bay leaves
3kg of white onions, sliced very thin
120g full cream milk
1 tbsp of salt, plus more to taste
Grated pecorino cheese
Grated parmesan cheese
1 slab of pork rind
1 clove of garlic, sliced
8 leaves of flat parsley
1 tbsp grated pecorino cheese
Salt, enough to cover the pork rind
3tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- Bake on rock salt laid trays. Roast in oven until cooked.
- Peel whilst hot and mash through a ricer.
- Mix in all other ingredients - do not over work the gluten.
- Roll into correct shapes, 3cm logs.
- Blanch in salted boiling water, the gnocchi is ready when it floats.
Pork Rind Roll
- Stretch out the slab of pork rind.
- Sprinkle the slab with the garlic, parsley, cheese, salt and pepper.
- Roll up and tie with twine.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and lard, and brown the wagyu beef shin.
- Deglaze with the wine over high heat, scraping any bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the tomato paste and bay leaves.
- Cook for a few minutes to lightly toast the tomato paste.
- Add the onions and the milk.
- Add the pork rind roll.
- Stir until everything is mixed together.
- Cover the saucepan with foil and cook on low heat until the onions stop releasing liquid.
- Lower to a simmer and cook for 4-5 hours, until the mixture becomes a thick sauce and the colour becomes amber.
- Garnish with a mix of grated parmesan and pecorino cheeses.